As I stated in my last posting, I am trying to get back to some bronze pieces that have just been languishing in the studio waiting to be completed. Two years ago I began a piece that involved the creation of 8 small (the longest is 5") carrying cases (see my blog posts for 1/24/16, 2/12/16, 3/30/16, and 5/12/16)...a suitcase, a rolling suitcase, a guitar case, an attache case, a "soft-sided" suitcase, a box tied with string, and a "paper" bag with a folded down top. After making the waxes, and casting them in bronze, I wasn't sure what sort of a base they should go on, so they were put aside while I worked on other projects.
Fast forward to 2018 and, lo and behold, a chance find on ebay provided the solution! I had been searching wooden boxes, thinking that something along that line might make a suitable base for the bronze baggage. Up popped an old empire style wooden box that immediately grabbed my attention. The size seemed to be right - it was 11" wide, 7 1/2" deep and 8 inches high, and it had enough age and character to make it interesting on its own. Once it arrived I assessed its condition. I removed the lid (it had worm hole damage that had been repaired with a light colored wood filler) and the hinges (I knew the weight of the bronze pieces would make a hinged lid impractical). I made a new lid out of a piece of Brazilian Cherry. I applied a light coat of walnut stain to make the lid color better match the base color. I also added a smaller piece of wood
* Check us out at www.saltwaterartists.com and www.facebook.com/SWArtistsGallery/