Ahh-h-h....springtime in Maine. A snow storm one week and a week later - the crocuses are up! It's always an adventure. Have been busy freshening up the paint on sculpture pedestals and building a few replacements in preparation for the upcoming show season. Preparation also includes selecting the 20+ pieces that I will be packing up to take to Saltwater Artists Gallery on Pemaquid Point next month. Now in its 51st season, the gallery will open on weekends starting Memorial Day and then seven days a week beginning June 15th. In Damariscotta, the River Arts Gallery continues its monthly art shows and the Boothbay Region Art Foundation in Boothbay Harbor begins its season of member shows on May 22nd.
Part of my preparation for the upcoming season has included coming up with sculpture concepts for some of the upcoming specific themed shows. Saltwater will be having a show titled "Dog Days Of Summer" that will open on August 15th and run through Memorial Day. I have a number of ideas for sculptures, reliefs, and prints, but I need to focus in on a few specific ones and see what transpires! River Arts has a new theme for their show that runs from August 16 through September 12th..."Wild Things". This theme has me looking through my stash of "unique" sculpture materials for inspiration. I suspect wood will be involved...stay tuned!
I recently completed a pair of new plaster fish reliefs. I decided I wanted to make them the same size as the one I made for the last season's Yarmouth Art Festival (see my blog posting for 10-15-18). The original impetus for my creating these reliefs came from my experiences with the 10x10brunswick Art Show. I participated in that show for the first time in 2010, and created the first of my fish relief entries in 2015. They proved to be very popular and I've been kept busy making various aquatic compositions in plaster ever since. I liked the extended version that I did for the Yarmouth show, so I decided to get a couple of them made up before this show season started. Two new designs were each impressed in clay and cast in plaster. The plaster castings were painted with graphite gray acrylic, and now just need to be matted and framed - and then I am on to the next project!