I would never claim to be a painter, but I do have a few paintings remaining from college classes that I took many years ago. I recently un-earthed a 13"x16" section that I had excised from one of those paintings (I had "liberated" what I felt was the more interesting portion of a larger composition). As is often the case for me, this kind of rediscovery can be the impetus for a "reincarnation". In my mind I immediately pictured this image of a woman peering out of a small window. The proportions of the woman and her apparent proximity to the window would make her look larger and the window look smaller. I also wanted something on the sill - perhaps a small flower pot containing a seedling?
To create the illusion of a dirt-filled pot, I first fashioned a slightly tapered cylinder of styrofoam that fit into the pot. I coated the top of the styrofoam plug with a 1/4" thick layer of Apoxie clay, and textured the clay to look like dirt. After the Apoxie clay hardened, I used acrylics to paint it a "dirt" color and then epoxied the cylinder into the pot. The final step was to drill 2 holes so that I could "plant" 2 very small (plastic) flowers and then screw the pot into the sill. C'est fini!
(P.S. I generally have some sort of internal narrative or back story to most of my work, and the title "Hope in the Window" for this piece came from my dismay over the war in Ukraine and my hope that good will triumph over evil .)