After filling a 30 gallon trash bin with the bulk of the mold debris, I spent the next 3 hours tackling the first stage of preparing the bronzes for finishing. I set up an angle grinder with a cutting wheel and began the process of removing the gating from the cast pieces. I started
with the smaller pieces because the gating was more open and easier to access with the cutting wheel. Then I tackled the stair ball which had more attachment points and heavier gating. (See blog entry for 10/27/13.) I was able to remove all of the gating except the part of the main gate that was held in place by the remaining investment inside the center of the ball form. I used a drill with a long bit, in combination with hammer and chisels, to loosen the investment material around the gate. Once the imbedded gate was removed, I chipped and drilled out as much as I could of the rest of the investment material.
*Note: For additional background info see my blog entries for 3/15/14, 3/3/14, 11/28/12, & 9/11/12.